New partnership

Two friends and I are going to go into partnership.  We are all currently self employed and send in tax returns.  Do we have to tell HMRC about the partnership?  

1st February 2012

You will need to register the partnership with HMRC. They will require the names and unique tax reference of each partner. Additionally one of the partners will need to be the nominated partner. This is the partner to whom the notification to file a partnership return is sent and who is responsible for ensuring that the partnership return is filed on time.

Furthermore, although you are already submitting tax returns, you must each complete a form to notify HMRC that you are joining a partnership.

There may be penalties charged if you delay in informing HMRC of the partnership and partners. Your local TaxAssist Accountant would be happy to help you maintain your tax affairs.

By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: The information provided is based on current guidance (at date of publication) from HMRC and may be subject to change. Any advice shared here is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this information, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Call us today to make an appointment at your local office

0800 0523 555

Or submit an enquiry