I can't pay my tax

Most of my tax is collected via PAYE, but I have a rental property which I make a small profit on. I have recently drafted my tax return for 2010/11 and my tax liability is £1,500, which I just can’t afford, especially with Christmas coming up. What can I do?

1st November 2011

You could ask HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) to collect your tax liability gradually from your employment income by adjusting your tax code. In order to do this, make sure that box 2 on page 5 of the tax return is blank before you file your return and the return is filed by 30 December 2011.

Please note, anyone can request to have their 2010/11 tax liability settled like this, provided their tax liability is under £2,000 and they submit their return by 30 December 2011 (from next year, the limit will be increased to £3,000).

Alternatively, there may be scope to negotiate a Time to Pay Arrangement with HMRC, which is effectively a payment plan.

If you would like to discuss your difficulties with settling your tax liability further, please do not hesitate to contact your local TaxAssist Accountant.

By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: The information provided is based on current guidance (at date of publication) from HMRC and may be subject to change. Any advice shared here is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this information, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Call us today to make an appointment at your local office

0800 0523 555

Or submit an enquiry