Investment Property

I have just bought a house with my girlfriend, so at the moment, I own my ‘bachelor pad’ and our new house. We plan to keep my old house and rent it out. I know there won’t be any tax to pay on the sale of our new house, because I don’t think you pay tax on your home. But can you tell me what tax implications there’ll be on my old house please?

1st September 2011

Firstly, you’re right- you don’t tend to pay tax on your home due to Private Residence Relief (PRR).

If you’re going to rent your bachelor pad out, then you will pay tax on the rent received, but you could claim relief for any mortgage interest and relevant expenses etc.

When you come to sell it, you’ll have to figure out how long it was your home and how long it was let for. The period that you occupied it should be covered by PRR. But the period when it was let, may instead be covered by Letting Relief- which at best, can mean you won’t have any Capital Gains tax to pay at all!

It would be advisable to write to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) and let them know that your circumstances have changed and that you wish to nominate your new house as your home.

There are criteria to qualify for PRR and Letting Relief, so please make sure you seek professional advice from your local TaxAssist Accountant before making any decisions.

By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: The information provided is based on current guidance (at date of publication) from HMRC and may be subject to change. Any advice shared here is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this information, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Call us today to make an appointment at your local office

0800 0523 555

Or submit an enquiry