Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

Will I pay tax on renting out my driveway?

I live on a commuter belt and I was considering advertising my driveway for rent. Will I pay tax on renting out my driveway?

Possibly, it will depend on your circumstances and how much rent you’re planning to charge.

However, in April 2017 two new £1,000 allowances for property and trading income were introduced. If your income (before expenses) is less than the allowance, you don’t have to declare the income or pay tax on it.

If your income exceeds the £1,000 allowance, you have the choice to deduct the allowance or the actual expenses from your income when you’re calculating your profits.

The main exclusion is that neither of the new allowances apply to partnership income from carrying on a trade, profession or property business in partnership.

The new allowances have yet to be legislated but the government has confirmed that they will be included in the Second Finance Bill expected this Autumn and will be effective from April 2017 as announced. 

If you'd like any help handling your tax affairs, please get in touch with your local TaxAssist Accountant who would be happy to help. 

Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us