Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

Renting Out a Room

My wife and I have decided to rent out a spare room in our house to provide some much needed additional cash in the current economic climate. I understand that if I receive a rent less than £4,250, I will pay no tax. Is this correct?

The £4,250 tax free amount is available if you are using the “Rent a Room” scheme. Under this scheme, a taxpayer can be exempt from income tax on profits from furnished accommodation in their only or main home if the gross rent they receive is £4,250 or less.

If the rental income exceeds the £4,250 exemption limit, the taxpayer can choose to deduct either the exempt amount or the actual expenses incurred in connection with the letting, in arriving at the net assessable pofit for the year. 

Where the property in question is held in joint names, the annual exemption limit is split between each owner.  Therefore the rents will be assessed equally between yourself and your wife and the annual exemption will also be split equally between the two of you.

The “Rent a Room” scheme only applies to the furnished residential letting of living accommodation in the taxpayer’s own home. You cannot apply it where any rooms are let as an office or for any other business purpose. It is, however, possible to apply the relief for certain types of trade, such as a bed and breakfast business.  For more guidance on this, please contact your local TaxAssist Accountant.

Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us