Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

Paper VAT returns

I send HMRC paper VAT returns, but I’ve read somewhere that the paper VAT returns are being scrapped. Is this true? If so, can you tell me what I need to do please.  

All VAT returns in respect of accounting periods starting on or after 1 April 2012, must be submitted online to HMRC. You should be receiving a letter from HMRC this month advising you of the change and what you’ll need to do to start submitting online. Essentially, you will need to go to their website register as a new user for online VAT services.

Furthermore, payments to HMRC in respect of a VAT liability will need to be settled electronically. So you will need to set up a Direct Debit or BACS payment, for example.

You would be encouraged to register for the service ahead of the 1 April 2012, to ensure that the transition to online is smooth. Furthermore, you should bear in mind how long some of the payment methods take to set up and ensure that they will be ready in time.

Your local TaxAssist Accountant can talk you through this, or alternatively, they can organise your payment method and submit your VAT returns for you.

Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us