Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

Non Residents & UK Property Income

I recently emigrated to Spain but still own a house in the UK which I am renting out. Are there any UK tax implications of which I should be aware?

The income received from this property income is taxable in UK as it arises here, even though you will be classed as Non Resident for UK tax purposes. You will need to register for the Non Resident Landlord scheme and if you rent the property through an agent they should be aware of the implications.

The scheme requires letting agents to deduct Basic Rate tax from any rent they collect for non-resident landlords. If non-resident landlords don't have UK letting agent acting for them, and the rent is more than £100 a week (£5,200 per annum), their tenants must deduct tax and pay it to the Inland Revenue’s Accounts Office, Cumbernauld. When working out the amount to tax, the agent/tenant can take off tax deductible expenses in the normal way.

Taxpayers who receive income of £100 a week or less do not have to operate the scheme unless they are told to do so by HM Revenue & Customs.

Should you not wish to operate the scheme, you can apply as the landlord on form NRL1 to the Centre for Non Residents for approval to receive your rental income gross. This is usually given if your tax affairs are up to date or you do not expect to be liable to UK income tax for the tax year. You will still however need to include this information on a UK self assessment tax return each year.

For further information on the landlords and tenants responsibility see the information on website or contact us today on :telephone::.

Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us