Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

How do I register to file a tax return?

I have just received my Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) as I need to file a tax return this year. What is the next step to filing my tax return?   

Self-assessment tax returns for 218/19 may be submitted on paper, but the deadline of 31st October has already passed for paper returns. Subsequent 2018/19 tax returns must be filed online in order to avoid an automatic filing penalty of £100.

Therefore, you will now need to register for HM Revenue and Customs’ Online Services and obtain an Activation Code. Please note, it can take seven working days to receive your Activation Code, which means you must register by 21st January 2020 in order to obtain your Code in time for the filing deadline of 31st January 2020.

Alternatively, an accountant can file your tax return for you provided they use specific software - even if you haven’t completed the official form to authorise them to deal with your affairs. They’ll need your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR), but you don’t need to have registered for Online Services.

Using an accountant can save you tax, stress and time. Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to liaise with HMRC on your behalf. Call 0800 0523 555 or enquire online here.

Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us