Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

Employing students

I would like to take on some university students over their summer break. Is there anything I need to be aware of?

Subject to very few exceptions, you should follow the same procedure for temporary student workers as you would for any other full-time employee. When they join you, they will complete the Starter Checklist available from as normal.

If they don’t return it to you in time, you may ask them a series of questions, which are essentially:

  1. Is this their first job since 6th April 2014?
  2. Is this their only job now, but they have had a previous job since 6th April 2014?
  3. Do they currently have another job?

If they answer a), use a normal tax code of 1000L. If it’s b), apply 1000L W1/ M1. Or if they answer c), apply a BR tax code. But it is essential that you keep a record of their response, as HMRC can hold you liable for any shortfall in tax you deduct.

If your students are under 16, they must also complete the Starter Checklist, but they won’t be subject to any National Insurance. Also, be aware of the National Minimum Wages rates for their age and any rules that may limit their working hours.

If you would like to discuss this further or perhaps look into TaxAssist Accountants looking after your payroll for you, please contact us to be put in touch with your local office.

Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us