Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

Correcting VAT errors

I complete the VAT returns for my small business and noticed recently that I had made some errors in previous returns. Can you advise how I correct these, and will there be any penalties or interest to pay on this?

You can adjust your current VAT account to correct errors on past returns if they’re:

  • below the 'reporting threshold'
  • not deliberate; and
  • for an accounting period that ended less than 4 years ago

The reporting thresholds that apply are:

  • the net value of the errors is £10,000 or less; or
  • your error amount is less than 1% of your box 6 figure (up to a maximum of £50,000).

If you do not meet these criteria, you will need to separately disclose these inaccuracies to HMRC using form VAT652. HMRC will then send you a notice telling you if the amount you calculated is correct and any interest or VAT you owe. 

Regardless which route you make the correction, you must keep details about the error - for example the date it was discovered, how it happened, the amount of VAT involved - and make an adjustment for them in your VAT account (usually part of your bookkeeping system or year end accounts). 

Your local TaxAssist Accountant would be happy to look after your VAT affairs. Please contact us for more information and to find your closest office. 

Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us