Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

Clothing purchased for work purposes

I am a self employed builder and I prepare my own tax return. Am I allowed to claim the cost of clothing that I wear to work? 

The purchase of general clothing is not an allowable deduction for tax, as it could be worn for non-work purposes - the fact that the trader may choose not to wear the clothing for non-work purposes is irrelevant. Therefore the only items of clothing that can be claimed for are those which fall into the categories of protective clothing and/or uniforms.

As you work in the building trade, the cost of steel capped boots, flourescent vests, hard hats, protective gloves and goggles could be claimed for, as could the cost of any overalls purchased. You would not, however, be able to claim for general clothing such as jeans and trainers. 

The legislation does allow for claims for the cost of uniforms though, so if you had T-shirts displaying your business details, those could be deducted for tax purposes.

Your local TaxAssist Accountant will be happy to prepare your tax return for you, and ensure that you're claiming everything you're entitled to. Please contact us to find your local office. 

Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us