As an employee you tend to meet all of your responsibilities to the UK tax regime using the PAYE system, but there can be instances when submitting a tax return can be the best move for reducing the amount of tax you have to pay or because you are obliged to under HMRC rules. This might apply where you are employed and:
- You are self employed or a partner in a partnership
- You are a company director
- You have large amounts of savings or investment income
- You have untaxed savings or investment income
- You own land or property that is being let
- Your household receives Child Benefit and you have income in excess of £50,000
- You have income from overseas
- You have sold or given an asset away (such as a holiday home or some shares)
- You’ve lived or worked abroad or aren’t domiciled in the UK
Even if some of these activities do not generate a profit (such as rental properties or self employment), completing a tax return may be compulsory and even when a tax return is not required, it could lower your tax bill and therefore voluntarily completing one can be beneficial.
Let’s take a look at some of the forms you might be provided with by your employer:
P60 – End of Year Certificate
Your P60 shows your total gross earnings and tax paid in the financial year. Your P60 should also show amounts relating to previous employments in that same tax year. You are entitled to this form from your employer by 31st May following the relevant tax year- even if you left employment with them during that same tax year.
You may need a P60 to:
- Complete a tax return- which can be obligatory depending on your circumstances- for instance, if you have income over £100,000. Read more information on when a tax return may be required by HMRC
- Claim back tax or National Insurance you have overpaid
- Apply for tax credits
P11D and P9D – Expenses Payments and Benefits
Forms P11D or P9D show any taxable expenses and benefits that have been provided by your employer. These could include items such as company cars, accommodation, low-interest/ interest-free loans and medical insurances.
If you receive such benefits, you are entitled to receive a copy of the P11D or P9D (or at least details of what was included on the form) by 6th July following the end of the relevant tax year.
What to do if you don't have the forms
If you've lost your P60, your employer should be able to supply you with a duplicate.
If you lose your copy of form P11D or P9D, your employer should be able to let you have another one. If they can't, HMRC should be able to supply you with a copy.
What can TaxAssist Accountants do for me?
TaxAssist Accountants can do a number of things for taxpayers that receive most or all of the income from employment, such as:
- Prepare your tax return and check your tax position for you, because you suspect the tax collected by your employer(s) was too high/ low
- Prepare your tax return because you have some untaxed income from savings/ properties or you have income in excess of £100,000.
- Make a claim for a tax refund from HMRC on your behalf
- Check your tax code to ensure it is appropriate- meaning the tax collected by your employer each pay period is appropriate. Checking tax codes where you have multiple employments can be particularly important, as errors can often occur in such circumstances
- If you have incurred expenses as a result of being employed, we can complete the claim form or tax return for you in order for you to obtain tax relief on them. This might be for items such as business mileage (this excludes commuting to your normal place of work), hotel accommodation/ meals/ business phone calls and professional subscriptions
We give you a fixed, competitive price so that we can take the worry away when it comes to meeting your responsibilities and deadlines- whilst still ensuring that you pay only the right amount of tax and not a penny more!
Join us in three easy steps
Get in touch
Arrange a free consultation in person or via video with your local accountant. It’s an informal chat to get to know you and find out more about the help you are looking for.
Chat to an expert
We clearly explain the support available to you and are happy to act as business advisors in order to help you grow your business.
Get a fixed quote
Our fees are fixed and tailored specifically to each individual's needs, so that you only pay for the level of support and services that you require.