Are my professional fees and subscriptions allowable for tax?

I am employed as a nurse with the NHS and pay a number of professional fees and subscribe to a few medical journals such as Nursing Standard. Am I entitled to tax relief on these payments?

1st January 2019

You can claim tax relief on fees or subscriptions you pay - but only if you must have membership in order to do your job or it's helpful for your work. HMRC maintains a list of approved professional organisations which you can view online here.

You cannot claim tax back on fees or subscriptions you’ve paid to professional organisations not approved by HMRC, or for:

  • life membership subscriptions
  • fees or subscriptions you have not paid for yourself (for example, if your employer has paid for them)

You can make the claim on your tax return if you complete one. Otherwise, there is an option to do it online, by post or over the phone.

If you have multiple years to claim for or would like some support with claiming your expenses, please contact your local TaxAssist Accountant. They would be happy to help. 

By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: The information provided is based on current guidance (at date of publication) from HMRC and may be subject to change. Any advice shared here is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this information, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Call us today to make an appointment at your local office

0800 0523 555

Or submit an enquiry