Can I still file my return before 31st January?

I have just received my Unique Taxpayer Reference as I need to file a tax return this year. Can I still file my return before 31st January?     

1st January 2018

It is possible to file tax returns on paper, but the deadline for this was October so has long passed. In order to avoid a late filing penalty, tax returns must be filed with HM Revenue & Customs online before midnight on 31st January.

To file online with HMRC, you will now need to register for HM Revenue & Customs’ Online Services and obtain an Activation Code. It can take seven working days to receive your Activation Code, which means you must register by 23rd January in order to obtain your Code in time for the filing deadline of 31st January. 

Alternatively, an accountant can file your tax return for you provided they use specific software - even if you haven’t completed the official form to authorise them to deal with your affairs. You must have your Unique Tax Reference though. 

Using an accountant can save you tax, stress and time. If you would like to speak with your local TaxAssist Accountant, please feel free to contact us to arrange a meeting.

By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: The information provided is based on current guidance (at date of publication) from HMRC and may be subject to change. Any advice shared here is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this information, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Call us today to make an appointment at your local office

0800 0523 555

Or submit an enquiry