Missing Records

I have yet to file my tax return for the 2007/08 tax year as I moved home a number of times in the last year, and have been unable to locate a large number of bank statements and receipts for my businesses. Ive asked the bank to send duplicate statements but a lot of my expenses were paid in cash. What do you recommend I do?

1st January 2009

HMRC advise that you should not delay sending in your tax return just because you do not have all the information you need. If you feel that there may be the possibility that you can recover the information then you should submit your return with provisional figures, and advise tMRC when you expect to be able to file actual figures. You must ensure that figures you provided are reasonable and take account of any information that is available for the same period.

If you feel that the records are unlikely to be recovered you should submit estimates for the period which is missing. Once again these need to be reliable estimates, and you should be aware that HMRC obviously reserve the right to investigate and ensure the figures are reasonable and consistent with similar trades and previous years figures. Using estimates based on periods where you do have records and receipts is the most suitable procedure to obtain accurate figures.

Business clients should really be advised to ensure suitable back up procedures are in place to prevent problems such as this occurring. Duplicate bank statements can always be obtained as a last resort to substantiate reported figures.

By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: The information provided is based on current guidance (at date of publication) from HMRC and may be subject to change. Any advice shared here is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this information, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Call us today to make an appointment at your local office

0800 0523 555

Or submit an enquiry