Splitting income from properties between married couples

My wife and I have some properties in joint names but as I put in the most money to buy the properties, it seems only fair that I get the lion’s share of the income from them too. However, I have been told that any income from the properties must be split 50/50 - is this true?

3rd April 2017

I am afraid to say it is the position by default. If you live with your spouse or civil partner, the income from property held in joint names will be split equally for tax purposes.

However, if a married couple wish to be taxed using a different ratio, they could consider changing their beneficial interests in the property and making a special tax election.

It can be complicated and other taxes need to be considered so you should seek advice from a professional such as your local TaxAssist Accountant before taking any action.

By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: The information provided is based on current guidance (at date of publication) from HMRC and may be subject to change. Any advice shared here is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this information, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Call us today to make an appointment at your local office

0800 0523 555

Or submit an enquiry