If you don’t have any staff other than directors, you may not have any automatic enrolment duties. You won’t have any duties if the only people working for you are:
- you as the sole director, or
- a number of directors, none of whom has an employment contract, or
- a number of directors, only one of whom has an employment contract
Automatic enrolment will apply if more than one director has a contract of employment.
Therefore as you are both directors and assuming neither of you have contracts of employment in place, then you will not have any Auto Enrolment duties. If you have determined that you do not have any Auto Enrolment duties then you must tell The Pensions Regulator before your staging date. To do this, you may either:
- complete an online form
- email [email protected] and complete the details in the pre-populated message that opens when you select our email address. You’ll need your letter code, PAYE reference and Companies House number to hand.
- download and follow the instructions in the Pension Regulator’s no employer duties email template
By Jo Nockels
Disclaimer: The information provided is based on current guidance (at date of publication) from HMRC and may be subject to change. Any advice shared here is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this information, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.