Class 2 National Insurance collection from April 2015

I’ve just gone self employed. How do I go about paying my stamp? 

1st March 2015

The self employed pay 2 types of National Insurance:

  1. Class 4 which is dependent upon the level of profits and is collected through via the tax return
  2. Class 2 which is a fixed amount

In the past, Class 2 National Insurance has typically been collected from taxpayers via Direct Debit. But from April 2015, Class 2 National Insurance will become an annual charge and will be collected via the tax return and the Self Assessment regime.

As your business is just starting out, I would recommend that you seek advice on your affairs. This can make sure you’re claiming everything you’re entitled to and making the most of all the tax planning opportunities you have available.

And crucially this year, if your profits fall below the small earnings level, Class 2 will not fall due. This could lead to gaps in National Insurance records which will have an impact when claiming some state benefits such as the state pension. 

If you'd like to discuss this in more detail, please contact us and we'll put you in touch with your local TaxAssist Accountant. 

By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: The information provided is based on current guidance (at date of publication) from HMRC and may be subject to change. Any advice shared here is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this information, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Call us today to make an appointment at your local office

0800 0523 555

Or submit an enquiry