Employment expenses

I have incurred some expenses because of my job, such as mileage for visit clients and a subscriptions for a qualification that is relevant to my job. Can I get some tax relief for these

1st November 2014

You may be able to claim tax relief if you have to use your own money for travel or things that you must buy for your job and that you don’t use in your private life. This could be things like:

  • Uniform, work clothing and tools
  • Business mileage
  • Travel and overnight expenses
  • Professional fees and subscriptions
  • Costs incurred when working from home
  • Equipment

You can’t claim relief on things you’ve spent money on if your employer has already provided you with an alternative or has paid you back.

If you don’t already fill in a Self Assessment tax return, and your allowable expenses are under £2,500 for the tax year, fill in form P87 and send it to the address on the form.

You must keep records of what you’ve spent, and claim within 4 years of the end of the tax year that you spent the money.

If your expenses exceed £2,500, you will need to complete a tax return in order to claim relief. Your local TaxAssist Accountant would be happy to help you put together your claim and complete your tax return. They can also make sure you’re claiming everything you’re entitled to.

By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: The information provided is based on current guidance (at date of publication) from HMRC and may be subject to change. Any advice shared here is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this information, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Call us today to make an appointment at your local office

0800 0523 555

Or submit an enquiry