High Income Child Benefit Charge Letter

I have recently received a letter from HMRC saying that I have not disclosed my High Income Child Benefit Charge on my tax return. What should I do?

1st September 2014

HMRC have recently been sending individuals letters, stating that they believe the High Income Child Benefit Charge has not been declared on their 2012/13 tax returns.

In the event you receive a communication from HMRC that you believe to be incorrect, don’t ignore it. You should contact HMRC for clarification or ask your accountant to do this on your behalf.

It is worth highlighting that many individuals have received these letters in error though. Supposedly, HMRC’s records have ignored if:

  • no child benefit was actually received in 2012/13
  • the highest earner has already paid the HICBC
  • the taxpayer’s 'adjusted net income' is less than £50,000. Actual income can be reduced for trading losses, gift aid donations and pension contributions to arrive at 'adjusted net income'.

Contact your local TaxAssist Accountant if you’d like them review the letter against your affairs or if you’d like them to liaise with HMRC on your behalf.

By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: The information provided is based on current guidance (at date of publication) from HMRC and may be subject to change. Any advice shared here is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this information, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Call us today to make an appointment at your local office

0800 0523 555

Or submit an enquiry