Capital Gains Tax loss on selling a house

House prices where we live seem to be dropping. If we move and the selling price is less than the purchase price we paid 2 years ago, can we claim a Capital Gains Tax loss?  

1st October 2008

The largest capital gain that most individuals are likely to realise is on the disposal of the house in which they live.

Exemption from tax on capital gains arising from the disposal of an individualís sole or main residence has remained largely unaltered by successive governments since the introduction of capital gains tax in 1965.

This exemption for Capital Gains Tax, referred to as Principle Private Residence relief, has survived, despite some individuals being able to make significant tax-free profits over a short period of time during the recent years of spiralling property prices.

Conversely though, in any period where property prices fall, it also means that tax relief is not available for any losses incurred on the sale of a sole or main residence in a falling market so I am afraid you will not be able to receive any tax relief for any losses you have made should you decide to sell your property now.

By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: The information provided is based on current guidance (at date of publication) from HMRC and may be subject to change. Any advice shared here is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this information, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Call us today to make an appointment at your local office

0800 0523 555

Or submit an enquiry