Wrong tax code

I noticed that the tax code my employer is using has changed and it doesn’t look right to me. I told my employer’s payroll department, but they said they were simply using the code HMRC had told them to. What should I do?

1st June 2013

HMRC issues your tax code based on information they have about you and it tells your employer or pension provider how much Income Tax to deduct from your wages or pension.

If your tax code is incorrect, I’m afraid your employer cannot simply change your tax code at your request. You will need to contact HMRC on their Taxes Helpline to tell them your tax code is wrong and you will need your National Insurance number and tax reference to hand, which can be found on tax papers such as your payslip or P60.

Assuming they agree, HMRC should subsequently issue a new tax code which your employer will then use.

Should you have any queries regarding this or any other matter, please feel free to contact your local TaxAssist Accountant.

By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: Advice shared in this blog is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this forum, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Contact us today to make an appointment at your local office

Submit an enquiry