Don't think I need a tax return

A few years ago, I was running my own business but I got offered a great job so I packed up my sole trade and now my only source of income is from my employment. But HMRC have sent me a tax return to complete. Do I have to fill it in - or is there some way I can tell them it isn’t required?

11th February 2013

If HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) has asked you to complete a tax return but you think you don't need one, you can call the Self Assessment Helpline. They will tell you whether you still need to complete a tax return.

Alternatively, your local TaxAssist Accountant would be happy to liaise with HMRC on your behalf. Feel free to contact us to be put in touch with your local office.

By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: The information provided is based on current guidance (at date of publication) from HMRC and may be subject to change. Any advice shared here is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this information, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Call us today to make an appointment at your local office

0800 0523 555

Or submit an enquiry