Reducing tax payments

I have just paid my July tax bill. But am I right in thinking this payment is roughly based on last year’s (2011) accounts? My business’ profits for 2012 are definitely down on last year, so is there any way I can reduce my payments?

1st July 2012

Yes you are right; the July payment is based on your previous year’s tax liability. There are in fact two ways that you can reduce your tax payments to take account of a reduction in profits.

Firstly, you can submit form SA303 to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). On this form, you must estimate what you think your tax liability for 2012 will actually be and why it has fallen from last year. The form must be submitted by 31 January following the tax year, i.e. a SA303 for a 2011/12 tax return must be submitted by 31 January 2013. Be aware that if you reduce your payments too low, HMRC will levy interest- but you can amend a SA303 if you discover this in time.

Alternatively, you could just prepare and submit your tax return. This will then trigger the comparison of these estimated payments (called Payments on Account), with your actual tax liability. So any over or underpayment will be calculated.

Please feel free to contact your local TaxAssist Accountant if you would like some help with the completion of a SA303 or your tax return.

By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: The information provided is based on current guidance (at date of publication) from HMRC and may be subject to change. Any advice shared here is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this information, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Call us today to make an appointment at your local office

0800 0523 555

Or submit an enquiry