Renting a Room During the Olympics

I live in London and have been reading about how people are renting out their homes to visitors for the Olympics. It sounds quite tempting! Would I have to declare this for tax purposes?

1st June 2012

The short answer is yes. However, providing that the amount involved is less than £4,250 and you continue to live in the property whilst renting the room(s) out, you could claim Rent a Room relief.

This relief was introduced to encourage home owners to use surplus rooms and benefit by not paying tax. It is restricted to the letting of fully furnished rooms for residential purposes only and the property must be your main home.

Even though you will not pay tax if the rental income is less than the relief available, you should report the income on your tax return, and any excess above the £4,250 is taxable at your marginal rate.


By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: The information provided is based on current guidance (at date of publication) from HMRC and may be subject to change. Any advice shared here is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this information, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Call us today to make an appointment at your local office

0800 0523 555

Or submit an enquiry