PAYE refund

I was put on an emergency tax code because my old employer has been slow to provide me with my P45. How do I go about getting the correct tax code and get my tax refunded?  

1st May 2012

You should obtain your P45 from your old employer as soon as possible. Your new employer can then complete their sections and send the appropriate part off to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). Once HMRC have processed the form, they should issue you with a new tax code.

Unless the tax year in which there is an issue has finished or you’re unemployed again, it’s unlikely that you need to physically request a refund. Using your new tax code, your new employer should correct your tax deductions moving forward and will also refund any overpaid tax. So you should see an increase in your net pay when your new tax code comes through.

Feel free to contact your local TaxAssist Accountant if you would like to discuss this further.

By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: The information provided is based on current guidance (at date of publication) from HMRC and may be subject to change. Any advice shared here is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this information, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Call us today to make an appointment at your local office

0800 0523 555

Or submit an enquiry