Claiming a tax refund

I left my job at the start of the year and I still haven’t found a new job yet. Am I eligible for a tax refund?  

1st April 2012

Based on the information you’ve provided, it is difficult to say with certainty whether you’re entitled to a tax refund. But if you think you've paid too much tax, you can make a tax refund claim from HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) if any of the following applies:

  • you've been unemployed for at least four weeks
  • you stopped working because you've retired and you're not getting a pension from your old employer
  • you've returned to studying

You can claim a tax refund by filling in form P50 - Claiming tax back when you have stopped working, which is available online at Send the form to HMRC, together with form P45, Parts 2 and 3 - and keep Part 1A for your own records.

HMRC will send you any tax refund you're entitled to by post. They'll also send you a new form P45, Parts 1A, 2 and 3, if necessary.

By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: Advice shared in this blog is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this forum, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Contact us today to make an appointment at your local office

Submit an enquiry