Multiple part-time jobs

I am working part-time in a hotel, corner shop and shoe shop, because I’ve struggled to find full-time work. I don’t earn more than £100 per week from each job though and I’ve recently noticed I’m not paying any National Insurance- does that mean I won’t be entitled to the state benefits?

1st March 2012

Yes, your entitlement to certain state benefits depends on your National Insurance contributions record.

Unlike tax, National Insurance does not take into account your total cumulative income, and therefore, it is possible to end up with a situation like yours where your total income is fairly good, but you do not trigger any National Insurance.

You are not obliged to pay any National Insurance in your case; however, if you are concerned about your state benefits entitlement, you may wish to pay voluntary contributions – Class 3 National Insurance. Class 3 is £13.25 per week for 2012/13.

Complete form CA5603 if you would like to apply to pay Class 3, which is available on HM Revenue & Customs’ website


By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: The information provided is based on current guidance (at date of publication) from HMRC and may be subject to change. Any advice shared here is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this information, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Call us today to make an appointment at your local office

0800 0523 555

Or submit an enquiry