Do I pass Class 2 NI if I'm employed and self employed?

I have a full-time job but I also have a small business of my own. Therefore, I pay Class 2 NI contributions. But as I am paying my ‘stamp’ on my employment income, do I have to continue paying Class 2 as well?  

1st January 2012

Class 2 contributions count towards:

  • Incapacity Benefit/Employment and Support Allowance
  • Basic State Pension
  • Bereavement benefits
  • Maternity Allowance

I’m afraid you do have to pay Class 2 NI; despite the fact you are paying Class 1 on your employment income. However, if your profits are deemed to be ‘small’ (currently £5,315), you may be eligible for an exception from paying Class 2 NI.

If you are only liable for Class 2 contributions, you should consider your position carefully before applying for an exception.

If you would like to discuss your personal tax affairs in more detail, please feel free to contact your local TaxAssist Accountant.

By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: Advice shared in this blog is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this forum, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Contact us today to make an appointment at your local office

Submit an enquiry