Problems with paying tax

I’m self employed and I’ve only just prepared my tax return. As a result, I’ve only just found out that I haven’t put enough aside for my tax liability. What should I do?

1st January 2012

Your balancing payment for 2010/11 and the first payment on account for 2011/12(if applicable) are due by 31 January 2012, together with your tax return.

If you are struggling to pay your tax, you should call HM Revenue & Customs’ (HMRC) Business Payment Support Service (BPSS). HMRC will ask you probing questions about the business and your cashflow, to ascertain why you can’t pay your tax. If they think you genuinely cannot pay your tax  they may grant you an extension to settle your taxes in or agree a payment plan. However, they do not reduce the amount outstanding and they will still charge you interest.

Even though you can’t afford to pay your tax, make sure you still file your return before 31 January 2012. Otherwise, you will be charged an automatic penalty of £100.

If you don’t feel confident in negotiating with HMRC, feel free to contact your local TaxAssist Accountant. They would be happy to liaise with HMRC on your behalf.

By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: The information provided is based on current guidance (at date of publication) from HMRC and may be subject to change. Any advice shared here is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this information, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Call us today to make an appointment at your local office

0800 0523 555

Or submit an enquiry