HMRC registration for filing tax returns

I have just received my Unique Taxpayer Reference as I need to file a tax return this year. What is the next step to filing my tax return?    

1st January 2012

2010/11 tax returns may be submitted on paper, but the deadline of 31 October has already passed for paper returns. Subsequent 2010/11 tax returns must be filed online in order to avoid an automatic filing penalty of £100.

Therefore, you will now need to register for HM Revenue & Customs’ Online Services and obtain an Activation Code. Please note, it can take seven working days to receive your Activation Code, which means you must register by 21 January 2012 in order to obtain your Code in time for the filing deadline of 31 January 2012.

Alternatively, an accountant can file your tax return for you provided they use specific software- even if you haven’t completed the official form to authorise them to deal with your affairs.

Using an accountant can save you tax, stress and time. If you would like to speak with your local TaxAssist Accountant, please feel free to contact us to arrange a meeting.

By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: The information provided is based on current guidance (at date of publication) from HMRC and may be subject to change. Any advice shared here is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this information, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Call us today to make an appointment at your local office

0800 0523 555

Or submit an enquiry