Employing an Au Pair & Tax Credits

I am looking to employee an au pair from France to look after my two children. CanI receive tax credit assistance for childcare provided by au pairs?

1st September 2008

Provided the au pair is registered with the Childcare Approval Scheme (CAS) in England and you, as the employer, meet the other conditions, you are eligible to receive Working Tax Credit to help with the cost.

If you are employed, you can claim financial support through your own employers supported childcare scheme to fund the cost of the Au Pair.

To qualify to receive tax credits, the childcare must be provided by a carer registered with CAS, in the child's own home or, for children aged over 7, on other domestic premises.

The process for registering the childcarer for the CAS for one usually takes approximately 6 weeks and cost 99. For further information and advice on how to register your childcarer with CAS, together with details of the other benefits provided by the scheme talk to your nearest TaxAssist accountant.

By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: Advice shared in this blog is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this forum, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Contact us today to make an appointment at your local office

Submit an enquiry