Selling your home at a loss

My house has been on the market for four months now, so I have decided to drop the asking price. However, this now means that I’m selling it as a loss. Is there any way I can utilise this loss?

1st October 2011

If you were to sell your house at a profit, it is unlikely there would have been any tax to pay because of Private Residence Relief (PRR). To qualify for the relief, the property must have been your only home and you should’ve used it as a home and nothing else.

The amount of PRR may have been restricted if you have a very large garden, you’ve let part of your entire home or you’ve used part of the property for business purposes.

If you would’ve qualified for PRR (had you made a gain), then I’m afraid you cannot obtain any relief if a loss was generated instead. If your PRR would’ve been restricted, then you may be able to claim loss relief for the part of the gain that didn’t qualify for PRR. But please note, these losses can only be used against other capital gains; not income.

Please feel free to contact your local TaxAssist Accountant to discuss this further.

By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: The information provided is based on current guidance (at date of publication) from HMRC and may be subject to change. Any advice shared here is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this information, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Call us today to make an appointment at your local office

0800 0523 555

Or submit an enquiry