Joint ownership of property

My husband and I have only just celebrated our first wedding anniversary. We have just bought an investment property together, which we plan to let. However, I am in a better paid job than my husband so I put up 70% of the purchase money. Right now, all our assets and income are kept pretty separate because we haven’t been married very long- so is there any way that we can apportion the rent from the house according to our investment?

1st September 2011

If you live together with your spouse or civil partner, HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) will normally treat income from property held in your joint names as if it belonged to you in equal shares and tax each of you on half of the income, regardless of actual ownership.

However, if you actually own the property in unequal shares and are entitled to the income arising in proportion to those shares, then you have the right to be taxed on that basis.

You must simply complete HMRC form 17, which is available from their website HMRC will expect to see some evidence to support your claim for the income apportionment.

It would be advisable to seek the advice from a solicitor on this, as there may be legal issues to consider. Your local TaxAssist Accountant would be happy to take care of your husband’s and your tax affairs though.

By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: The information provided is based on current guidance (at date of publication) from HMRC and may be subject to change. Any advice shared here is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this information, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Call us today to make an appointment at your local office

0800 0523 555

Or submit an enquiry