How to Register a Partnership?

My business partner and I have decided to carry on trade as a partnership. What are the formalities in registering ourselves and the partnership with the tax authorities?

1st February 2011

When you become self employed you should register with HMRC. There are three ways you can register these are either online, telephone or post.
Details on how to register online or telephone are on the HMRC website,
If registering by post, HMRC have issued new forms from 25 October 2010 to use for partners and partnerships.
Form SA400 should be completed on behalf of the partnership by the nominated partner and will enable HMRC to issue the partnership with a unique taxpayer reference (UTR) number. This number should be quoted on the partnership self assessment tax return.
Form SA401 should be completed by each partner and will enable HMRC to issue them with a UTR, if they do not already have one. This form will also register the partners for class 2 national insurance contributions.
If you need assistance on registering with HMRC or starting a business please contact your local TaxAssist Accountant.

By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: The information provided is based on current guidance (at date of publication) from HMRC and may be subject to change. Any advice shared here is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this information, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Call us today to make an appointment at your local office

0800 0523 555

Or submit an enquiry