Gift Of Goods To Charity Shops

I have recently cleared out lots of old summer clothes which I have stored over the years. If I give these items to my local charity shop can I include a deduction in my tax return for Gift Aid. As I am a Higher Rate taxpayer will I receive 40% tax relief on this gift?

1st July 2010

Unfortunately donations of goods and other items to a chosen charity can not receive tax relief under Gift Aid as the scheme only applies to gifts of money. However, your charity can act as an agent for you by selling goods on your behalf in the hope that you then donate the proceeds from the sales to the Charity.

If the donation of the eventual sale proceeds is made in this way then you will be able to include a deduction for gift aid in your tax return, and higher rate taxpayers will receive a further 20% tax relief either in the tax year you make the donation, or the year before if you choose to relate it back.

Initially, we recommend you speak to your local Charity shop to see if they will actually sell the goods on your behalf, as they must remain your property until they are sold. Also you reserve the right to keep all or part of the proceeds of the sale, so the charity must keep a record of the items they sell on your behalf and if they ask you to complete a Gift Aid declaration before the sale (in anticipation of the proceeds being gifted to them). The wording of that declaration must not force you to make a donation as you must retain a choice of whether or not to gift the proceeds.

By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: The information provided is based on current guidance (at date of publication) from HMRC and may be subject to change. Any advice shared here is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this information, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Call us today to make an appointment at your local office

0800 0523 555

Or submit an enquiry