Correcting VAT Errors

I run a small retail busines and have underdeclared my sales and purchase for my last 3 VAT return periods. How do I correct the errors?

1st August 2008

Currently there are two ways in which you can notify of any VAT errors arising in VAT accounting period.

You can disclose the error by adjusting your VAT account and including the value of that adjustment in the next VAT return. From 1 July 2008, the previous net errors threshold of 2,000 has been increased to the greater of 10,000 or 1% of the turnover (box 6 figure on the VAT return) subject to an upper limit of 50,000.

If the net errors total more than 10,000, you must inform your local VAT Business Advice Centre in writing of the errors. If you use this method, you must not make adjustment for the same errors on a later VAT return. HM Revenue & Customs may also charge interest on any under declarations you disclose in this way.

By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: The information provided is based on current guidance (at date of publication) from HMRC and may be subject to change. Any advice shared here is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this information, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Call us today to make an appointment at your local office

0800 0523 555

Or submit an enquiry