Are My Subscriptions Allowable for Tax

I am employed as a nurse with the NHS and pay a number of annual subscriptions to professional bodies such as the Royal College of Nursing. Am I entitled to tax relief on these payments?

1st May 2010

If you are employed, you are entitled to claim a deduction for costs you have incurred that relate “wholly, exclusively and necessarily” to your employment, which have not been reimbursed by your employer.

Annual subscriptions paid to professional bodies will be allowable provided they are paid to a body approved by HM Revenue & Customs. The activities of the body must directly benefit, or concern the profession practiced by the employee in the performance of their duties of employment.

HM Revenue & Customs publish a list of the approved bodies to which they allow tax relief for annual subscriptions (list 3 is available on the  website). The Royal College of Nursing is on the list, together with a number of other bodies relating to your profession, so if you have not been reimbursed in full by your employer you should speak to your local TaxAssist Accountant to discuss the submission of a claim. You are also entitled to make a claim for up to 6 tax years previous if these also have not been reimbursed.

By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: The information provided is based on current guidance (at date of publication) from HMRC and may be subject to change. Any advice shared here is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this information, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Call us today to make an appointment at your local office

0800 0523 555

Or submit an enquiry