Do I still need a tax return?

Last year I completed my tax return but received a letter from my tax office stating that I do not need to complete a tax return in the future. However, I purchased a rental property during the 2009/10 tax year and have been renting this out for a small profit. Should I continue to file a tax return even though they have not issued me with one?

1st April 2010

There is a requirement to notify the tax office by 5th October following any tax year where you owe further tax in addition to any tax that has already been deducted at source. As you have made a small profit from your rental income activities then you need to notify the HMRC. This gives them enough time establish if a tax return is required and to issue you with one to complete.

However, HM Revenue & Customs are trying to reduce the burden of Self Assessment on taxpayers who have straightforward affairs and have identified some areas where a tax return will still not required.

If your income from rents is less than £2,500 for the year and your other income is from employment where tax is deducted at source, you can just contact the tax office and they should be able to settle your additional tax liability through an adjustment in your PAYE code, and collect the underpaid tax through deductions in your wages each month. This will avoid the onerous task of completing a tax return to show this small amount of income.

By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: The information provided is based on current guidance (at date of publication) from HMRC and may be subject to change. Any advice shared here is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this information, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Call us today to make an appointment at your local office

0800 0523 555

Or submit an enquiry