Get Paid To Go To College!

My sixteen-year-old son is starting college this month and claims some of his older friends were paid an allowance from the Government for continuing their studies. Would my son be eligible?

1st September 2009

Your son is probably referring to the Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) - a scheme which financially incentivises students to stay in full time education. If your son turned 16, 17 or 18 in the year up to 31 August 2009, and is enrolled on a course in England which is a full time course at college or school, or a LSC funded diploma or entry to employment course which involves a minimum of twelve hours per week, he can claim the allowance.

The amount you receive depends on your household income (before tax) in the 2008/09 financial year.

Income up to 20,817 per annum receive 30 per week
Income from 20,818 - 25,521 per annum receive 20 per week
Income from 25,522 - 30,810 per annum / 10 per week

The amount is paid direct to your sons bank account and for more information on how to claim the allowance visit or speak to your accountant.

By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: The information provided is based on current guidance (at date of publication) from HMRC and may be subject to change. Any advice shared here is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this information, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Call us today to make an appointment at your local office

0800 0523 555

Or submit an enquiry