Health In Pregnancy Grant

I am due to give birth in June, and recently read an article about a pregnancy grant that is available. Can you provide any further information?

1st May 2009

If you're a mum-to-be you may be able to get a one-off, tax-free payment of £190 for each pregnancy, (not each child if you are expecting twins or triplets though) . The payment is called 'Health in Pregnancy Grant', and is to help you stay well and healthy and to meet extra costs during the later stages of your pregnancy

You need to satisfy 4 conditions to receive the Grant. You must be 25 weeks pregnant or more, have received health advice from a midwife or doctor to help you and your unborn baby stay healthy during pregnancy, be 'ordinarily resident' (your main home is here) and have a ‘right to reside’ in the UK.

Once you are 25 weeks pregnant you can make a claim for the Grant by completing a claim form available by calling the helpline on 0845 366 7885. You need to get your claim form filled in and signed by your midwife or doctor before you have your baby. More information is available on

By Jo Nockels

Disclaimer: The information provided is based on current guidance (at date of publication) from HMRC and may be subject to change. Any advice shared here is intended to inform rather than advise. Taxpayer's circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this information, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.

Call us today to make an appointment at your local office

0800 0523 555

Or submit an enquiry