Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

What to do when an employee dies?

One of my employees recently passed away after a short illness. I have continued paying him up until his death under the terms of his contract, but what do I need to do with regard to the payroll now?

When you learn of the death of an employee you should complete a form P45, as if he had left your employment. You need to write 'D' in the box at the bottom of the form and send all four parts of the form to your Inland Revenue office.

Some payments may be due to the employee after the date of death.  These payments should be paid to the executors or personal representatives of the deceased employee.  Pay As You Earn deductions will need to be made, using tax code BR on all amounts paid after the completion of the form P45.  Such payments are treated like any other wages and should therefore be detailed on the PAYE working sheet (form P11).

If any payments are made in a later tax year than the one in which your employee died, you should deduct PAYE using the code BR and record details on a new form P11 in the name of the deceased employee. Again these payments should be made to the executors or personal representatives of the deceased employee.

Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us