Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

What is a K code?

I have just received my tax code from HMRC for 2012/13, and it is a K code. Can you tell me what this means and how it will affect my income?

Your tax code shows how much tax-free pay (personal allowance) you are entitled to.

Your personal allowance can be increase by things like the Married Couple’s Allowance and professional allowances/ subscriptions.

But it can also be reduced by taxable income that you receive without any tax taken off it (some state benefits/ pensions etc), taxable company benefits and any unpaid tax you owe from previous years.

If you have been issued with a K code, such adjustments have reduced your tax-free allowance to such an extent, that they are actually more than your personal allowance. Normally, the number in a tax code indicates the amount of income you are entitled to tax-free. However, the number in a K code denotes how much should be added to your gross income, before calculating the tax to be deducted from your pay.

If you would like to discuss your personal tax affairs in more detail, please feel free to contact your local TaxAssist Accountant.

Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us