Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

Tax Returns and Providing Information Over the Phone

My tax affairs are quite simple in that I am employed and my only other source of income is approximately £2,600 per annum from a rental property that I own jointly with my brother. He has received a tax return to complete for the 2009/10 tax year. Should I also have one to complete?

Many individuals with relatively simple tax affairs are now able to deal directly with Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs (HMRC) by telephone and this can dispense with the need to file an annual tax return.

You can notify HMRC of any changes in personal circumstances by telephone, including changes which may affect any claims to personal allowances you are entitled to and of any changes to your employment or self-employment status.  This service can also be used to advise HMRC of any sources of untaxed income where that income will not exceed £2,500 per annum.

Where untaxed income exceeds £2,500, it is necessary for the individual to complete and file a self assessment tax return. As your rental income is £2,600, you should therefore contact your local tax office and ask them to issue a tax return form to you. Before completing your tax return form you should consider seeking advice from an accountant. They will be able to review your circumstances to ensure that you claim any reliefs and deductions available, in order to minimise your liability to tax.

Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us