Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

Tax relief on buildings

I have just had a storage unit built for my business. Can I offset the cost of the building against my profits?

In short and as a general rule, the answer is no. Tax relief on assets, usually comes in the form of Capital Allowances. However, Capital Allowances are generally not available for expenditure on land or buildings. Tax relief on the cost of land and buildings is instead obtained via the Capital Gains Tax regime when the asset is sold.

However, you may be able to claim some Capital Allowances on certain expenditure on certain buildings, such as:

  • Fixtures and equipment in the building such as some kitchen equipment,
  • Features “integral” to the building such as lighting systems; and
  • Thermal insulation

But there are some very complex rules and conditions attached to qualifying for such Capital Allowances, so I would strongly advise you to seek professional advice to ensure you do not under or over claim. Your local TaxAssist Accountant can advise you on Capital Allowances and prepare your claim for you. Please feel free to contact us for more information or your free initial consultation.

Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us