Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

Registering for Self Employment and CIS

My work in the building industry involves a mixture of short periods of work for an employer under Pay As You Earn and periods of self-employment within the same year. Is it necessary for me to register for self employment on a contract by contract basis?

You will initially have to become registered for Self-Employment using form CWF1. HMRC will then open a self assessment taxpayers record for you and issue a 10 digit Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) .

You also need to register as a subcontractor for CIS (Construction Industry Scheme). From April 2007 there will be no registration cards issued. Instead you now have to register with the CIS helpline (call 0845 3667899) who will verify you on their records, and contractors who you work for will use the UTR number to verify you for the 20% deduction rate. If you fail to register for CIS, you will suffer 30% tax deductions from contractors.

There will be no need for you to re-register on a future occasion unless you notify HMRC that you have ceased self-employment on a permanent basis and finalised your SA affairs and now wish to re-start.

Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us