Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

Reducing tax payments

I have just paid my July tax bill. But am I right in thinking this payment is roughly based on last year’s (2010) accounts? My business’ profits for 2011 are definitely down on last year, so is there any way I can reduce my payments?

Yes you are right; the July payment is based on your previous year’s tax liability. There are in fact two ways that you can reduce your tax payments to take account of a reduction in profits.

Firstly, you can submit form SA303 to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). On this form, you must estimate what you think your tax liability for 2011 will actually be and why it has fallen from last year. The form must be submitted by 31 January following the tax year, i.e. a SA303 for a 2010/11 tax return must be submitted by 31 January 2012. Be aware that if you reduce your payments too low, HMRC will levy interest- but you can amend a SA303 if you discover this in time.

Alternatively, you could just prepare and submit your tax return. This will then trigger the comparison of these estimated payments (called Payments on Account), with your actual tax liability. So any over or underpayment will be calculated.

Please feel free to contact your local TaxAssist Accountant if you would like some help with the completion of a SA303 or your tax return.

Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us