Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

Paying tax after retirement

I recently retired as a school teacher, but as I still enjoy working as a self-employed music tutor, I have opted not to receive my state pension for now.  My first Teachers' Pension payment was paid last month, but they deducted tax from it - is this right?  I didn't think I would need to pay tax once I was 65 years old.

Your Teachers Pension will be taxed in the same way your salary used to be taxed - a PAYE coding notice will be issued annually showing you how much personal allowance is being allocated against your pension income.  The main difference when you reach retirement age is that you are no longer required to pay National Insurance Contributions.

Now that you have reached your 65th birthday, your annual personal allowance may increase.  The maximum personal allowance available for somebody aged between 65 and 74 is currently £9,490 - this allowance is pro-rated where income exceeds £22,900, down to a minimum of £6,475.  There is also a higher alloance available for individuals aged 75 and over, currently at a maximum amount of £9,640.

With regard to your self-employment, your Class II National Insurance Contributions should have ceased on the week of your 65th birthday.  Class IV Contributions, which are based on assessable profits for the year are still charged in full for the tax year of your 65th birthday, but not charged for subsequent years.

If you would like somebody to check your tax and National Insurance liability for the year, please contact your local TaxAssist Accountant who will be happy to assist you.

Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us