Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

PAYE refund

I was put on an emergency tax code because my old employer has been slow to provide me with my P45. How do I go about getting the correct tax code and get my tax refunded?  

You should obtain your P45 from your old employer as soon as possible. Your new employer can then complete their sections and send the appropriate part off to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). Once HMRC have processed the form, they should issue you with a new tax code.

Unless the tax year in which there is an issue has finished or you’re unemployed again, it’s unlikely that you need to physically request a refund. Using your new tax code, your new employer should correct your tax deductions moving forward and will also refund any overpaid tax. So you should see an increase in your net pay when your new tax code comes through.

Feel free to contact your local TaxAssist Accountant if you would like to discuss this further.

Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us