Call us 0800 0523 555

Contact Us

*COVID-19 update: Many of our shops and offices are now open for face to face meetings with strict social distancing measures in place. We also offer telephone and video consultations for all new clients in order to discuss your needs. Find the latest COVID-19 information available for your business.

How should I pay my wife?

I have my own business and now my children are grown up, my wife would like to return to work and deal with some administrative jobs for me.  What is the most tax efficient way for her to be paid? Should I treat her as if she is self-employed and she invoices me?

Self-employed status generally results in a lower tax liability than that of employment. Firstly, the rate of National Insurance self-employed people generally pay is 9% (as opposed to 12% if employed). And secondly, the ‘employer’ does not need to pay Employer’s National Insurance on their behalf either. Of these two options, people therefore tend to prefer being treated as self-employed.

You also have the option of transferring the business into a partnership and giving your wife a share of the profits.

However, you cannot simply choose to treat your wife as self-employed/ partner/ employed- it is really a question of the facts and HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) have lots of guidance in this area.

We would recommend that you seek professional advice about how to remunerate your wife, before proceeding. Firstly, to check you are acting within guidelines and legislation and secondly, to calculate the tax position. Please feel free to contact us if you would like to be put in touch with your local TaxAssist Accountant.


Call us today to make an appointment with your local office

Consultations available by telephone or video

0800 0523 555

Contact Us